Last summer, I created this chowder recipe specifically for my mother, who is allergic to dairy. It uses cashew cream. Of course, now my mother has developed a cashew allergy. Honestly, I’m giving up. The good news is that I truly prefer the cashew cream here to real cream, and people other than my mother seem to like this soup too. Here is my beautiful cousin being a soup model at our recent family reunion.I was going to urge you to try this recipe before the last bit of local corn disappears, but truthfully it works with frozen corn just as well. It also works with frozen cod if you can’t find responsibly caught fresh fish. Also, after years of not making seafood soups because I don’t enjoy making homemade seafood stock, I have come to the conclusion that clam juice in a bottle is the solution to my seafood soup troubles. In other words, this is a pretty simple and forgiving soup…and it is delicious.
CORN AND SEAFOOD CHOWDER (DAIRY FREE)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (pieces are fine)
- 1/2 cup water
- A glug of olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup parsley, minced
- 2 large or 12 oz new potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 cups water or seafood stock
- 1 and 1/4 cup clam juice
- 1 pound of filleted, skinless cod, cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 ears of corn, cut off of the cob
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup sherry
- salt and pepper
- smoked salmon ends for garnish (optional but very good)
- Combine the cashews and 1/2 cup water and let them soak for at lease 4 hours or overnight. Blend the cashews and their liquid until absolutely smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot. Add the onions, celery, scallions and parsley and sauce over medium flame until the onions are translucent.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, water or stock and clam juice. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook partially covered until the potatoes soften (about 10 minutes).
- Add the cod, corn, yellow bell pepper and sherry and continue to cook until the fish is done 5-8 minutes.
- Add the cashew cream and stir to combine. Taste and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with smoked salmon if you’ve got it!
MORE USES FOR CASHEW CREAM…
One Comment Add yours
Looks yummy 🙂