I went through a period during college and for years after when I made this salad a lot. I had not made it in years, but thought to include it in the menu for our wedding picnic because it does well sitting out a room temperature and it uses fairly inexpensive ingredients that were in season. At least it was inexpensive until I decided to buy the garlic from the local garlic farmer on Gabriola. This is not inexpensive garlic! I spent 60 dollars on garlic! That is crazy!
Roasted Potato Salad with Garlic and Rosemary
- 6 red potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper cut in to bite sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper cut in to bite sized pieces
- 3 cups mushrooms, halved if large
- 10 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile scrub the Potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes.
- When the water is boiling, drop the potatoes to parboil them. The length of time will depend on the potatoes but I usually test them after 3 minutes. They should have softened just a bit. They should not be fully cooked.
- Toss the potatoes along with the peppers, mushrooms, rosemary, oil, salt and pepper. If you are using nice fresh garlic you can add that now as well. Otherwise wait and add the garlic after a few minutes to avoid burning it.
- Spread the vegetables out on a baking tray and roast under a hot broiler until everything is crisp and brown. The time will vary depending on your broiler.
- Toss in the Balsamic and serve warm or at room temperature.