I went through a macaroni and cheese phase when I was in Junior high. I ate a lot of kraft macaroni and cheese with bottled tomato sauce (very classy). I have been going through another macaroni and cheese phase. When I have small amounts of yummy things leftover I throw them into a macaroni and cheese.
- 1 pound penne (I use bionature gluten free penne)
- 4 cups milk 1/2 stick butter
- 6 Tablespoons four (I use Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour)
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- something yummy that is leftover from something else like sauteed mushrooms, pesto, all of the fresh herbs that are going to go off if you don’t use them, sundried tomatoes or whatever
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water. While the pasta is cooking, heat the butter in a heavy sauce pan and warm the milk in another heavy sauce pan. When the butter is melted whisk in the flour and stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Do not let the flour brown. Add the warm milk gradually, whisking our all of the lumps as you go. Whisk over medium heat for another five minutes or until the sauce is thick. Turn the heat off and add 3/4 of the cheese to the sauce. Combine the sauce and cooked penne in a baking dish along with whatever other yummy stuff you are adding. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for about half an hour or until everything is looking gold and bubbly.